Complete a professional, non-thesis master’s degree program at your own pace through the world-renowned University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign!
In addition to an on-campus program, the Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) in Bioengineering degree program is also offered through a fully online platform, with the two transcriptable concentrations to choose from: bioinstrumentation and general bioengineering. It is designed for those who are looking for a “stepping stone” to technical and managerial careers in the healthcare industry. In addition, the flexibility of an online platform is an excellent option for students who want to pursue an advanced graduate degree while working.
The online M.Eng. in Bioengineering program is the exact same degree awarded to students who complete the on-campus program. Through the online program, students will augment the depth of their technical background, while also developing fundamental skills in business, preparing students to take on first level supervisory roles in the healthcare industry.
The online degree can be completed in as little as 5 semesters, depending on how many classes are taken per semester, but students have up to five years to complete it. All online students receive access to recorded lectures and follow the class syllabus, including assignments, exams and projects. The instructors will be available for virtual office hours and to answer questions.
- Total credit hours: 32
- Two transcriptable concentrations: bioinstrumentation and general bioengineering
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science or related discipline
- Minimum GPA 3.0 out of 4.0 for the last two years of undergraduate study – on their personal essay, students are encouraged to provide an explanation if GPA is lower than minimum
- GRE optional
- For applicants whose degree is not from an institution where English is the official language, TOEFL or IELTS test results are required. Minimum scores of 103 for TOEFL and 7.5 for IELTS are required for full admission.
Applications are reviewed in a holistic manner, so personal essays and letters of recommendations are weighed just as heavily as quantitative scores and grades.
- Application deadline for Fall semester admission: July 31
- Application deadline for Spring semester admission: Nov. 30
For application requirements, review this checklist.
Fees and tuition
- The online tuition is assessed by the College of Engineering, and can be found here.
- The online M.Eng. in Bioengineering program is self-supporting and not able to provide any financial assistance.
For questions about our online program, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.